Roofing services provide a variety of needs for your roof to function correctly in protecting your home. When roofs do their job, you probably don’t even think about how they are operating until a problem occurs. One way to better take care of your home is to understand how its systems work, so that you know the right maintenance needs and how to recognize problems.
Here are five facts about roofing services that may surprise you:
- Roofs need to “breathe”. Roofing ventilation plays an important role in preventing moisture and mold, due to increased air circulation, which reduces humidity. This also keeps warm and cold air from getting trapped in your attic, which improves your home’s energy efficiency. Roofing services, whether through new roof installation or maintenance, ensure that the entire system is working correctly as a whole.
- Roofing over your old roof is a no-no. Trying to save money on a roof replacement is understandable, but covering up your old roof with a new one will only lead to bigger problems. The added weight of new shingles can cause structural issues to your home, along with trapping moisture between the layers.
- Shingles have a limited lifespan. Most roofs last between 25-35 years, which varies due to the roofing materials, environment, and maintenance. Fun fact: did you know that Roof Maxx can extend the life of a shingle roof by up to 15 years?
- Not all roofing materials are the same. There are pros and cons to different roofing materials. Asphalt shingles are the most common material used, and they come with the benefits of versatility, energy efficiency, and wind resistance. It’s best to research what type of roof would work best for your home.
- Roofing is NOT a good DIY project. It is well worth the investment to hire professionals for your roofing needs. Roofs protect both the exterior and interior of your home and, when installed or repaired incorrectly, can cause major damage that will cost a lot more to remedy.
It is important to have an understanding of how your roof works and what roofing services can provide so that you can best protect your home. Reach out to our team at Save My Roof for roofing services that will help keep your roof in optimal shape for many years to come.